Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Certain Places Have Energy

I had an enlightening conversation with a special painting patron of mine when we first moved to Plainfield, New Hampshire almost two years ago.
I had filed this conversation away somewhere into the recesses of my brain until recently, as I was looking at these photos I took of our view of Mount Ascutney:





As the conversation replayed itself in my mind, I heard her make her point once again about how certain places have energy. After giving the conversation some serious consideration, I realized how important her words are to me and that they should be shared. So now I am taking this opportunity to share a very wise and intuitive woman’s thoughts. She felt that this place, the place where I had chosen to build my home, my life, and raise my child was one of those powerful places. She believed that I must have been drawn to this land for a specific reason, that my being here in this time and place was my destiny, my life’s purpose.

I’m wary of destiny predictions in general, but this one could have legitimacy. I refuse to specifically define my beliefs under one religion or one god, but I am spiritual and I do believe in *something*, and after some consideration, I might be starting to believe in this.

I have had a deep and unexplainable connection to the national historic site
Saint-Gaudens since I first discovered it in high school. It was a beautiful, secret place of both peace and inspiration for me. Most people who were born and raised here have never stepped upon its grounds, so my finding it is a bit of a mystery. You might say I was drawn to it. Saint-Gaudens was where I went to get away from my life and think. I did not take time to learn about the artist in whom the site is named (until college when I discovered Saint-Gaudens in an Art History book), I just went there to *absorb the energy* (for lack of a more articulate explanation). I continued to visit the Saint-Gaudens site when I came home on breaks from my life in New York City. And after I moved back to New Hampshire, I continued to visit on a regular basis. I also choose the site for my wedding in 2002. I never questioned why, it just was the thing I needed to do. Certain places have energy.

Maybe the pull had to do with the power and energy from the Cornish Arts Colony?

In the early years of the 20th century, the Cornish Artists’ Colony was one of the more popular places for creative fine art activity in the eastern United States. Between 1895 and 1925, nearly 100 artists, sculptors, writers, designers, and well-known politicians chose Cornish as the area where they wanted to live, either full time or during the summer months. The natural beauty of Cornish was what originally attracted its many settlers. With views across the Connecticut River Valley to Mount Ascutney in Vermont, the idyllic rolling-hill scenery resembled an Italian landscape. Countless paintings, sculptures, writings, as well as gardens from the Cornish Colony live on, continuing to plant seeds of inspiration.

Here are some photos I took this past summer at Saint-Gaudens:






The name Cornish, although referencing the town in New Hampshire, is more reflective of a state of mind and a sense of beautiful place rather than a solid geographical location. The Colony was in fact spread out over Windsor, Vermont, as well as the villages of Plainfield and Cornish in New Hampshire. Windsor was the mailing address for the entire area and the arrival point of most of the colonists, who usually came from New York City, which was a grueling nine-hour train ride.

Cornish was the primary gathering spot and was considered one of the most beautifully gardened villages in the United States. The gardens were designed, created, and maintained by the artists, which made them even more appealing to the public.

Oddly enough, (with out previous knowledge of the Colony Artists) the first thing I did when we moved here, even before I unpacked, was build an enormous wildflower meadow. It was an obsession. I had to create it. Strange coincidence? Perhaps, but, maybe it’s true; certain places have energy. Maybe the gods of art have blessed the land surrounding Mount Ascutney? Maybe only the true worshippers and creators of art feel its powerful magic? Maybe this land is a magnet for creative energy? For a creative life? There must be something that drew all of those talented artists to this land? Whatever it is, I know that I feel *something* here. I find joy, inspiration and peace when I gaze upon the sun setting on Mount Ascutney from my front porch. I can believe in the energy and magic when I see beautiful wildlife gazing back in at me through my window. I find balance and contentment as I watch the progress and beauty of the garden I was driven to create. I wake up every day in this powerful place, needing to create. I am never at a loss for inspiration, for it is everywhere here.
Maybe that is because certain places have energy?

Here are some photos I’ve taken of the wildlife outside my windows:





Click HERE to learn more about the Cornish Art Colony


1 comment:

Betzie said...

Just loved these photos Amy!!!! That owl is a masterpiece isn't he?? And those hollyhocks...such gorgeous colors. I can't grow them here, we have woods and not enough sun. Great photography!