Thursday, January 11, 2007

BOTANICAL BIOFORMS

After giving the title *Beautiful Death* some more consideration, I have decided to rename my new series BOTANICAL BIOFORMS. It occurred to me that the title *Beautiful Death* is already bogged down by preconceived notions of the concept, so rather then fighting what people will assume the series title implies, I have re-envisioned the concept. I feel the title *Botanical Bioforms* better suits the direction in which I plan to develop my imagery. I will incorporate all aspects of the life cycle, not just a focus on the beauty of death. I felt my concept deserved a title more open for fresh perception and interpretation. In other words, the series title needed to be more encompassing, less romantic and perhaps a bit more ambiguous, leaving me a lot more room to maneuver as the series comes to fruition. Naming the series while it is still in the conceptual/developmental stages is important for me because it creates a unity and focus from the beginning; therefore, imbuing each sketch with purpose and direction. Eventually these individual drawings will serve as the building blocks or as the visual language that will be used to create the series.

Defining BOTANICAL BIOFORMS:

Botanical
1. Of or relating to plants or plant life.
2. Of or relating to the science of botany.

Biology
1. The science of life and of living organisms, including their structure, function, growth, origin, evolution, and distribution. It includes botany and zoology and all their subdivisions.
2. The life processes or characteristic phenomena of a group or category of living organisms: the biology of viruses.
3. The plant and animal life of a specific area or region.

Form
1. a. The shape and structure of an object.
b. The body or outward appearance of a person or an animal considered separately from the face or head; figure.
2. a. The essence of something.
b. The mode in which a thing exists, acts, or manifests itself; kind: a form of animal life

What is the source of inspiration for BOTANICAL BIOFORMS?

Botany, Biology and Form! This series will primarily be influenced by things found in my meadow with a few surprises; mostly seeds, sprouts, pods, roots, flowers, trees, as well as the more ambiguous influences of the forces of nature, such as snow, rain, sunsets, birth, life, death and re-birth. I plan to deviate from the expected botanical renderings, evolving into something unexpected, perhaps creating something otherworldly. The goal is to focus on the emotional and primal response to the images, versus simply recreating the standard botanical imagery used primarily for decorative purposes. In other words, if these paintings turn out as I imagine, I doubt you would want to hang one over your couch!

What is the preliminary vision for BOTANICAL BIOFORMS?

I would like to create a series of plantlike images that look as though they could be found growing in a Gigeresque garden. I am imagining beautiful yet dreadful specimens, planted by Klimt, raised on dark Freudian concepts
, fertilized with Louise Bourgeois’s angst filled acumen, watered by Max Ernst’s beautiful ingenuity, nurtured by Leonor Fini’s sensuous vision and fostered by Frida Kahlo’s dark earthy insight.


H.R. Giger


Gustav Klimt


Freud


Louise Bourgeois


Max Ernst


Leonor Fini


Frida Kahlo


Well, that’s it for my new series update.
I hope you enjoy imagining your versions of the BOTANICAL BIOFORMS!

I plan to go on my Charmed Life outing this weekend so stay tuned!
I will post something about my Charmed Life event soon.
Enjoy the day!

No comments: