Thursday, February 08, 2007

BOTANICAL BIOFORMS: Botanical Medallions

The focus for the “New Project” was to encourage me to step outside the box and think about the Botanical Bioform Building Block drawings from a fresh perspective. As you now know, I decided one way to achieve this was by translating the Building Block drawings into Exalted Beauty Medallions. My primary concern for this exercise was to maintain the same qualities of line and textures created by the pen and ink drawings and translate them into 3 dimensional clay forms. While I like the look of the slick clean drawings, I didn’t want to create exact replicas of them. I wanted the medallions to feel a bit more messy and organic so I added the physical (and conceptual) element of seeding sand to create tension. I also included Swarovski Crystals and seed beads for the same purpose. I enjoy the challenge of making unrelated elements work together. I *think* the experiment was a success, but I will let you decide!

Here is a picture of the Botanical Medallions in progress:



As you can see from the photo, I choose to interpret the Building Block drawings by creating similar markings through carving and stippling which I then accentuated through staining and highlighting. I decided to keep the color subtle, in part because I especially enjoy this color palette, but more importantly because I did not want any of the colors chosen for these Botanical Medallions to subconsciously influence the upcoming Botanical Bioform painting series.

Side Note: this picture does not do the luminescent surface justice! In person, these glow and shine like the inside of a shell. To achieve this luminescent look, the medallions received 12 coats of metallic stain, paint and varnish since their *fresh from the oven* state seen in an earlier post. This process was obviously time consuming and tedious but I am SO happy with the results! They will now need a week or so to cure before I can begin to work on the backs.

In the meantime, I have ordered hundreds of new medallion boxes, as well as a fabulous selection of beautiful accent beads, including some natural colored Mother of Pearl beads that I think will be the *perfect* accents for the new Exalted Beauty Botanical Medallions! I can’t wait for the beads to arrive! Very exciting! I also hope to make it to the printers soon because I am in desperate need of more box and bag labels as well as business cards. I’m not looking forward to receiving that order because it means days and days of cutting sticky label paper! Boring business stuff, but it must be taken care of because on-line orders have been keeping me pretty busy already this year and the Exalted Beauty Medallion Party season is starting up very soon!

So that is what I will be up to!



2 comments:

Miachelle said...

I really love these medallions. I can think of several projects that would be incredibly unique with these. Nicely done. Have you toyed with the idea of using the new "faux bone" to make the medallions? Just wondering what the difference in process and outcome would be.

Exalted Beauty said...

Thank you so much Miachelle!
I’d love to answer your question but I am afraid I have a confession; I am completely clueless about the world of polymer clay! I just buy whatever clay colors/types that catch my fancy and are available at my local craft store. They don’t have much of a selection but then again I never know what I’m planning to make until I make it! I just *make stuff*. Meaning: I am a stay-at-home mom with little time to myself, so I create spur of the moment, mostly in the very early mornings while my little *darling* is sleeping. I really do wish I knew more about the craft, my materials and what the latest happenings are, but usually my need to create out weighs my desire to know what the rest of the world is doing. Don’t tell anyone that I don’t really know what I am doing! :)
But now that I know about you and your Jewelryzine – maybe I can learn something!
Thank you for your comments and for the link! I had no idea! I will be sure to include you in my blogroll!
Your blog is FABBY!!!
Thanks! :) Amy