Monday, February 05, 2007

Building Blocks Take Form!

Did You Guess?
I am making more Exalted Beauty Medallions! Of course!
I thought it might be an interesting challenge to try to interpret the two dimensional Botanical Bioform Building Block drawings into three dimensional medallions. I decided to use translucent polymer clay mixed with seeding sand. The sand was left over from the batch I used to seed the wildflower meadow this past fall, when the original *seed* for the Botanical Bioforms was first planted (in my brain). At the time, I thought this would be a fabulous tie in *conceptually*, but physically, it was very rough on my hands! :) Despite my extreme misery during the mixing and sculpting process, I must admit that I am very pleased with the final effect. There are surprising bits of sparkle, a range of neutral tones and texture throughout the clay. Also, since the gritty clay was much more challenging to work with, it forced me to loosen up and sort of let things happen. The result is an organic mix of line, texture and form. Very Botanical!


Here they are fresh from the oven:



I will keep you posted about their progression.
Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

Derek Andrews said...

Neat-o. I think it is cool that you are using the same source of inspiration for both 2D and 3D work. It will be interesting to see how much one impacts the other.