Friday, March 30, 2007

NIGHT GARDEN REVIEW

I am closing out the month of March with a review of the Night Garden paintings.
Here are the set of 7:















All of the Night Garden paintings (1-7) above are by
Amy E. Fraser
Mixed Media Paintings (Acrylic Glaze over Pen and Ink) on 18” x 24” 140#, Acid Free, Archival Watercolor Paper.

Overall, I *like* these pieces, but I’m not feeling as though I learned anything new or accomplished something of great significance. In general, I feel that these paintings are fairly safe and predictably *Amyesque*. While I strongly feel that I haven’t exhausted all the possibilities within the Night Garden theme (because I still have tons of ideas and inspiration), I am questioning their relevance in the grand scheme of things, primarily within the Botanical Bioforms concept. This subseries is not at all what I was originally envisioning. So, as a result, I am not sure that I should (or want to) continue along this path (especially at the time investment of 40 hours a painting). Obviously I feel I have wavered a bit from the Botanical Bioforms main premise, and while that is not necessarily a bad thing, I do feel driven/obligated to flesh out the original Botanical Bioform concept before I can continue along in the direction that the Night Garden seems to be heading. Mostly I feel the need to make myself try something a bit more edgy and abstract to push myself out of my comfort zone in an attempt to learn and grow as an artist. So for now I plan to remove myself from this project for a few weeks and get caught up on the life stuff I’ve been neglecting in order to scrounge up time to paint. Hopefully I can return to the Botanical Bioforms concept with a renewed perspective. I’ll keep you posted and try to keep you entertained and inspired with various whatnots in the interim.

Stay tuned! :)

No comments: