Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Ghost Costume

Halloween is supposed to be a fun time of year for kids; the costumes, the candy, what could be better? It is still my all time favorite holiday! So when Caden came home from pre-school one afternoon devastated that some other kid told him he couldn’t be a ghost because he was going to be one, well… I kind of flipped out! Caden had been asking to be a ghost for over a month! I mean he completely had his heart set on it. The girls in his class told him he could be a giant frog instead. What?! Absolutely not! So, being the mature mother that I am (ha ha) I said, that’s crazy! You can BOTH be ghosts! But, just because he’s a rotten punk, you make sure to tell your *friend* that your ghost costume is going to be MUCH cooler than his because YOUR mom’s an ARTIST! Oh dear. Way to make friends Amy! Open mouth, insert foot! But seriously, how dare that little brat break my baby’s heart, right? Ugh. So the pressure was on to put together something fabulous, but with everything going on, I wasn’t exactly prepared for the task. We searched and searched but there wasn’t a single ghost costume to be found and it would be a cold day in hell before I just threw a sheet over my son’s head! So I obviously had to make something. But the problem is that I don’t sew and I certainly don’t own a sewing machine. However, being me, I don’t let those sorts of obstacles preventing me from doing what I need to.
So I drew Caden this rough sketch:



Which he approved. I bought some fabric, and then I went about making this:



Ekks! What do you think? I’m hoping the hair and make up will greatly improve the overall look but? Oh dear. We’ll see. Uh I guess what I’m really hoping is that Caden didn’t express my flippant comment…

Ooops! :)

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you dear....Caden will never have to worry about who has his back.

JP

Sarah Iddings said...

My son also wants to be a ghost and while searching for ideas on how to make him a ghost cotume I cam across this old blog post of yours. Do you happen to remember how you made this costume. It looks perfect!

Bonnie said...

Hi there. My six year old also wants to be a ghost (for two years now). I bought a white sheet but have no clue where to start! I would also love to see how you did it if you still have that information.

The Party of Five said...

I too am looking for a costume and would love to know how you made this. It is wonderful. Are you willing to share you ideas? Email me please at jajuddfamily(at)gmail(dot)com. Thank you thank you. You definately would make one Happy 5 year old and mommy.

Holly said...

Please share how you made this costume. My daughter is insisting on being a ghost this year and I absolutely love your son's costume. I'd love to do something similar for her.

Penny said...

This is a wonderful ghost costume. My 4 year old wants to be a ghost as well and this is the most inspirational one I found on the web. I hope you don't mind me "borrowing" your idea. I love the fact that both my boys want to go "old school" with their costumes (my 6 year old wants to be a vampire). Thanks for the inspiration!

Carrie said...

Can you also send me directions too? I showed my son tons of ghost costumes online and this is his favorite. THANK YOU! cp760 at yahoo.com

enniferjay1 said...

Love the ghost costume! My boys are also excited about being ghosts this year ... are you still sharing the directions for this great costume?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOUR COSTUME! If you are sharing could you please include me! My e-mail is
k_annev(at)yahoo.com. THANKYOU!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
I am an aduly and love how your son's costume came out. I am wanting to be a ghost this year for my halloween party. If you don't mind, I would love to know how you made this.

Thank you - Ashley anw22@yahoo.com

Jay said...

Me too!! Me too!!!! I absolutely love your costume and if you are sharing, please, please, please forward the directions to me as well.

thanks,
Janet
jator729@charter.net

naomie said...

It's a great ghost costume as no child will want to wear something over their head for a whole party. I'll be really chuffed if you'd let me know how you made it.
Thanks, Naomie

Anna said...

Hi Amy,
My son wants to be a ghost for Halloween this year and the costume you've made for your son is absolutely the best! Could you please send me directions on how you made it? (umka80(at)yahoo.com)
Thank you!
Anna

Teresa said...

Any chance you are still willing to share how you made your son's costume? My son is 4 and wanting to be a ghost and I couldn't find anything in the store either. My e-mail is t_quist@comcast.net. Thank you!

Paige said...

Well, I'm seeing a theme here as all us Mama's go searching all over for how to make a ghost costume for our little ones. I love the costume you made and even though I see its been years since you made it, I'd love to know how you did it if you are willing to share! I don't sew either and my son has been asking to be a ghost since last Halloween.

alysapaige@earthlink.net

Kristin said...

Hope this isn't freaky, but I was searching for cool ghost costumes and out of all I've come upon I like you're best. I'm wondering if you could email a quick tutorial on how you put this together (If you can rememb3er ine it was like 4 years ago)? If you have a quick moment could you email me?

Kristin Marshall
j_kmarshall@hotmail.com

Thanks! And way to go on the coolest ghost costume ever! :)

Meredith said...

I too am looking for a ghost costume. I can't sew-I don't own a sewing machine- and REALLY don't want to throw a sheet over his head! My 4 year old says he HAS to be a ghost. Would you share how you made this with me? Its adorable- I hope that "friend" was jealous!
Meredith Wood
Mrdith@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I would also love to know how you did this! email me at studio359salon@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I love this costume as well and would love if you could let me know how you made it if you don't mind! I think it looks awesome!!

Thanks so much!
Mindy
mindynjason@frontier.com

Anonymous said...

I know this entry is several years old, but I really hoping you still receive these. Like many others I would also love to know how to make this costume if you dont mind sharing. My son wants to be a ghost and I have no problem making his costume, I sew a little bit, but wanted to know how you made the hood and robe piece. My email is kstar254@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

You should be really proud of your creative genius. Five years after you posted this, it's still attracting attention. I'm trying to make a ghost costume for my 2&1/2 year old and would love to know how you did this. I, too, do not sew or own a sewing machine. I do, however, have a white sheet. What's next?

Thanks so much!
Amy
amwill@vt.edu