Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Mixed Reaction

I finally finished the Uterus Medallion backs yesterday:



Many thanks to those of you who were brave enough to comment on these. I had no idea they would receive such interesting and diverse responses! Both positive and negative! Many of you have stayed silent wondering why I made these. Well, it’s obvious from my recent posts that I’ve been thinking about the uterus a lot, so I wanted to make the best of my experience by getting back in touch with some old issues. Through painting and sculpting I was attempting to reanalyze my feelings from a fresh (older/wiser) perspective. I’m admittedly anxious about the situation but not all out wallowing in depression. These Uterus Medallions didn’t evolve out of anger, but out of respect for an organ/symbol that I have had a long standing relationship with. My feelings about it are of course often conflicted, perhaps occasionally less then positive due to my experiences, but in the end, that is part of where the respect and admiration has grown. For better or worse, the Uterus is what we as women are made of. Its presence (or for some of us, lack there of) has shaped us, defined us and separates us as women. It offers us as many challenges as it does gifts. That’s pretty powerful, don’t you think?

Besides that, I apparently have a bizarre sense of humor because these completely amuse me. I’m really looking forward to hearing people’s responses, both good and bad. I’m very open to criticism. I’m happy to hear if you don’t like them and why. Some people will see the Uterus Medallions as a positive sign/symbol of femininity and others will react strongly against wearing a *body part*. That’s okay, isn’t it?

Anyway, whatever your thoughts, I do think I might have a market where I am going today. I have my LEEP procedure this afternoon and I plan on wearing this:



Shhh, don’t tell anyone but I’m secretly hoping to generate some orders at the hospital today!

No comments: