Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Fallback Plan

Wondering what my fallback plan was?
Nothing says Feminist Art like something happening to a woman’s vagina, right?
Here are the 4 abstract pieces based on microscopic views of the Cervical Cancer virus that I painted in late October 2007:



Cervical Cancer Virus 1
By
Amy E. Fraser
8” x 10” Acrylic Painting on 140#, Acid Free, Archival Watercolor Paper



Cervical Cancer Virus 2
By
Amy E. Fraser
8” x 10” Acrylic Painting on 140#, Acid Free, Archival Watercolor Paper



Cervical Cancer Virus 3
By
Amy E. Fraser
8” x 10” Acrylic Painting on 140#, Acid Free, Archival Watercolor Paper



Cervical Cancer Virus 4
By
Amy E. Fraser
8” x 10” Acrylic Painting on 140#, Acid Free, Archival Watercolor Paper

So, honestly, what do you think? Paintings of Cervical cancer are definitely edgy and controversial. They make a statement and they meet the size requirement. The content is venue appropriate, but am I really ready to put that out there, I mean, beyond the blog? Is *this* who I want to be known for as an artist? I’m not so sure. Its one thing to get it out in the moment of the experience, but it would be a hard path to continue on while I’m healing. All that negative visualizing may have adverse effects to my psyche. Ugh. I’m so conflicted.

4 comments:

judy said...

Amy, your women are glorious but I'd keep the 'virus' private.IMHO that's therapy for you and not for public speculation.

C.M. Doran said...

Your paintings are beautiful. I write about portrayal of infectious diseases in literature and the arts on "The Febrile Muse". May I use CC virus 3?...it will be a post about Henrietta Lacks and recent book about her, and HPV.

I would credit you in caption and link back if you like.

Amy E. Fraser said...

Thank You C.M.Doran,
I stopped by your site and found it fascinating. You may use the image in your post. I would appreciate the credit/link back. Let me know when it is featured and I will post a blurb here for you. Thank you for your interest. Keep up the great work! :) Amy

C.M. Doran said...

The post is now up. Thank you.

I hope you like your painting's placement. It's beautiful.

Have a great day...Cindy