Monday, March 10, 2008

Introducing Lifespark

Here is the first look at the Exalted Beauty Lifespark collection (in progress):





Let me just say that as frequently as I contemplate the beauty and meaning of the cycle of life; the *reproductive* aspect of these new medallion designs didn’t hit me until I was about halfway finished sculpting them! My (completely innocent) objective was to create a new medallion collection similar to Sparkling Elegance. I was consciously thinking of strong classic lines with a bit of sparkle and a dash of whimsy.

The collection title “Lifespark” gives a nod to the original inspiration Sparkling Elegance while also acknowledging (and even celebrating) the potential sperm interpretation. Yeah, I know, why not just ignore it? As an artist (with a background in Art History and Philosophy), I feel it is our responsibility as creators to be aware of the outside interpretations of our work. Once an art piece leaves the artist, the creator’s meaning and intent are disregarded. All that remains is the viewer’s perception.


What do you think? Is it better to warn your customers of what others *might* think of your work, or just let them come to their own conclusions? Of course not EVERYONE will immediately jump to the *Lifespark* conclusion, but if my friends and family are any indication… (No more Pearl Jam comments please!). In my case, I would rather point out this particular interpretation in order to allow the buyer to make an informed choice, rather then regretting their purchase later. I think the women who wear my medallions are confident women who have both a fun sense of humor and a strong sense of their sexuality. I doubt the potential interpretation will have any influence over their decision to purchase if they love the designs.

In the end I think it will be the finish that makes or breaks this collection; I have a feeling there will be a fine line between naughty and nice...

No comments: