Friday, March 14, 2008

Lifespark

Here is the Exalted Beauty Lifespark Collection:




Here is a closer look at the Lifespark finish:



So what do you think? Did these turn out Naughty or Nice?
I think: Nice. I am very pleased with the end result and I am not at all focused on the *suggestiveness* of the organic shape. I feel as though the monochromatic color range succeeded in unifying the organic to the geometric. And after surveying a larger audience I am VERY encouraged by the female response. Apparently not everyone has their mind in the gutter! I especially liked Erin’s comment about these looking like fetuses. I can see that, and as she suggested, it still works with the Lifespark title. Brilliant! Not to mention, the fetal interpretation of these organic shapes is much more in tune with my lifetime of creating feminist imagery. However, as I said, it is impossible to control the viewer’s perception. Lynn and The Mr. did an impromptu survey of random co-workers to gauge their first response to the painted Lifespark pieces; the majority of the MEN thought sperm. Of course they did!

So, er, after all of this *interpretive controversy* I think I will hold off on completing the Exalted Beauty Liquid Medallions:



These are obviously the next evolution from Lifespark, experimenting with just the organic. I actually like these a lot, but I think I’m going to wait to see what my ladies think of the Lifespark pieces first! However, it looks like it is going to be a while before I will find out because I have been totally sidetracked into making ANOTHER new collection! I will finish the Lifespark backs (and the beading and cataloging) as soon as I get all of these other medallions out of my system! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
My name is Toni and I and my 13 and 10 year old granddaughters are skimming through your whole blog! We love it and are appreciating your talent and your wisdom. We are now to March 2008 and have just come across your Lifespark collection. We wanted to let you know what our first impressions were: Toni: I immediately thought "fetus", 14 yr. old: babies when they first begin: 10 year old: eels.
I can see where some can interpret them differently, but we all three would buy and wear them if we could afford to do so. We love your blog and all agree you are so very fortunate to live so close to nature, as we do here in Lake Stevens Washington. P.S. We are artists too. Maybe that is why we connect with you and your art.
Love,
Toni, Brittany, and Veronica

Anonymous said...

Fetuses? I can't see that at all. Eels, yes. Sperm? Definitely. Not unattractive but nothing I'd want, either, however I did send the link to a gyno friend of mine.