Thursday, May 15, 2008

Bloodroot







The Bloodroot plant is a dangerous beauty! Do NOT use any home remedies made from the Bloodroot plant because this beautiful wild poppy is toxic to animal cells and may cause disfigurement. Applying Bloodroot to the skin may destroy tissue and lead to the formation of a large scab, called an eschar. Bloodroot and its extracts are thus considered escharotic.

I don’t know about you, but when I was a kid, we often made perfumes and play salads with the vegetation found in the yard and surrounding forest. The adults never gave it a second thought, but who knows what kinds of poisonous potions were being concocted? Ever since I became interested in learning about Wildflowers, I have made it a point to warn Caden (and anyone who will listen) of the dangers of plant poisons. I’m not trying to keep my child in a bubble, really, but some knowledge about the dangers that lurk in the yard is definitely advisable. Especially when you see the damage this little flower can do...

4 comments:

Lynda said...

Holey-Mackrell!

I've heard of Bloodroot but had no idea it was so toxic. Beautiful flowers. I've never seen one. Pretty sure they don't grow around here. Where did you find this one?

Exalted Beauty said...

Hey Lynda!
I had no idea either! My neighbor has these wild poppies all over her lawn! They really are beautiful and make a stunning early spring display, but who knew? I took some photos of the last blooms of the season and looked them up when I got back in the house. I was as surprised as you are! But like many plants, science has found a use for their toxic properties. I read that many tooth products contain Bloodroot. Crazy huh? I love learning about the history and early medical discoveries found from plants. What used to be *witch craft* is now science! Makes me so proud of our foremothers! :) Amy

Anonymous said...

Amy,
It looks like you may be a fabulous artist but not much of a physician. Bloodrot is an extremly valuable medicine. Please be careful when you make pronouncenents about things not in your field of expertise.

Anonymous said...

products made with bloodroot have been withdrawn from the market. Items such as toothpaste and mouthwash that are out-dated or expired should not be used if they contain bloodroot derivatives such as saachraairn [sp] because it has been found it causes white lesions which eventually may lead to oral cancer.