Sunday, June 15, 2008

Pink Daisy

Every year this one pink daisy emerges from the masses of white:







I planted many of these beautiful pastel colored asters, but this lone pink daisy seems to be the only survivor. My method of gardening in the Wildflower Meadow is “survival of the fittest”. I planted over 40 varieties of seed throughout the Wildflower Meadow with hopes of getting a sampling of all kinds of flowers, but in such a large space, with out amending the soil or watering, I’ve left it to Mother Nature to decide what flowers make the cut. Over the years I’ve seen an interesting selection of other *exotic* flowers like this single Pink Daisy and I always look forward to the surprises, but it’s the flowers presented in mass that have the most impact on the Wildflower Meadow’s grand scale. This season’s display has been an enormous accumulation of white Ox-Eyed/Shasta Daisies and Purple Lupine so far, but a new wave of yellow Ox-Eyed Daisies (also known as Sundrops or False Sunflower), Black Eyed Susan’s and Gloriosa Daisies are emerging to the forefront as the next big color makers. It also looks like there will be a large showing of Purple Coneflower later this season as well. Very exciting! I’ll keep you updated with photos of the Living Painting as the new blooms emerge.

In the meantime, stay tuned for another full week of new Poppy paintings! The deadlines are coming up very soon and I will need your help picking submission pieces!

1 comment:

Lynne said...

I have never seen a pink daisy before-I love it!

Looking forward to see more in person this weekend... Can't wait!