Friday, July 18, 2008

119th N.A.W.A. Exhibition

Okay, I know you are just dying to know about “The Big Dilemma”, right? Oh well, maybe not, but I’m going to share it anyway because it seems typical of my art life post Caden. Last Friday afternoon, after a very busy fun filled week of Weirs Beach and Story Land, my extremely exhausted son decided he had a popcorn kernel tickle in his throat that he could not talk himself down from. The result? 20 feet of vomit splatter from the kitchen to the bathroom, including full coverage of floor, from kitchen counter to bathroom toilet and sink. Lovely. Being an equally exhausted mom I was certainly not pleased by this turn of events and I was heatedly making this clear while cleaning it up and then the phone rang. Well, who should call at this opportune moment? The President of N.A.W.A. of course! Oh my, as she was politely discussing upcoming charity events for N.A.W.A., I just happened to ask when the annual exhibition would be coming up. Making calm inquiries about upcoming events while covered in malodorous popcorn spew is perfectly normal, uh, isn’t it? Well, good thing I asked because apparently the deadline was THAT day!!! OMG! Did you see the exorcist? Yeah, well, then you have a pretty good idea of what I looked like at that moment! Head spinning, puke everywhere, you get the picture. Argh!!! I was fuming! And devastated. Apparently I didn’t get the mailing that was sent out MONTHS ago! I couldn’t believe I was going to miss this exhibition that I have faithfully participated in every year since I became a member because of a stupid mailing issue! These shows mean a lot to me and post Caden, the balance of Mother and Artist has been a battle to say the least, the annual N.A.W.A. exhibition is part of my set of goals to maintain as I keep a foot in the art game. Anyway, long story short, N.A.W.A. was gracious enough to extend the deadline due to the circumstance but only until the following Monday. Well, Hellllllloooo! Panic! While everyone else had months to decide which piece to include that would truly represent them in the show, I had 2 days. TWO DAYS!!! Not good. I had my little breakdown Friday night and then thankfully woke with renewed optimism Saturday and proceeded to paint an entirely new piece. What the heck? Who does that? Me, and I must have decided what to paint while I was sleeping because it came together like it was meant to be. What appeared was an Exalted Beauty style portrait of the goddess Athena. Athena is the goddess of War, Wisdom and the Arts. Who could better represent me in my time of need? Anyway, after the drama is all said and done, the new painting: “Exalted Beauty: Athena” will be representing me in the National Association of Women Artists 119th Annual Exhibition:



I hope you will join us for:
The 119th Annual Exhibition
August 24th- September 28th, 2008

Located at:
Goggle Works Center for the Arts
201 Washington Street
Reading, PA 19601
www.goggleworks.org
(610) 374-4600

No comments: