Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Outlander



After last week’s whirlwind painting competition frenzy and a very sick child to attend to, I finally crashed and caught the evil vomit virus that’s been haunting our house since the weekend after Christmas. So now, despite the hundreds of things on my big To-Do list, I’ve been forced to take some time off to recover. With the ability to do little else, I figured why not read a great book to keep my mind off the dizzying nausea? My cousin Shana has me hooked on Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander series. I purchased the first book a few months ago and have been addicted ever since. Shana had been raving about it for years, and now I understand, so far the Outlander series has been riveting. Actually, the first book was so intriguing that I immediately bought the other five books in the set (Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross and A Breath of Snow and Ashes). I’m glad I had them here because they have been a wonderful distraction from my rather disobedient body. The Outlander series was described by Salon magazine as "the smartest historical sci-fi adventure-romance story ever written by a science Ph.D. with a background in scripting "Scrooge McDuck" comics." the Outlander series tells the story of Jamie Fraser, a Scottish Highlander from the 18th century, and his time-traveling wife, Claire. Sounds interesting right? So that’s where I’ll be for a bit; hanging out with Jamie and Claire. Reading the series will allow me to take time to recover and possibly provide new inspiration for my new art project. Who wouldn’t be inspired by lusty adventures led by one’s own ancestors set in 18th century Scotland?


To learn more about Diana Gabaldon, check out her blog HERE


If you find the time to start a new reading addiction, I highly recommend beginning your journey with this book:



Enjoy! I’ll be back when I’m feeling better.

No comments: