Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Landscape Project

Here is a close up of one of the stone walls I’ve recently built:



The landscape project is in full swing and my vision of creating a fairytale wonderland is truly beginning to take form. I won’t bore you with the details but basically I’ve torn down (by hand, with rake and shovel) the side yard *hump* and graduated it into a much more attractive slope that will serve as a new bed for (yet another section of) Wildflowers. This marvelous new slope was (to blame for) the inspiration of the stonewall idea. I did my typical “wouldn’t it be pretty if…” and so it began. Of course all of this stonework has to be completed before the planting of the seeds… So far the Mr. has collected over 16 truck loads of rock (see Rock Collection
post for details) which I am currently turning into stone walls that wrap around the house and extend 50 feet down the driveway. By the way, rock weighs 150 pounds per cubic foot, which means I will have lifted over 20,000 pounds of stone by the time these walls are finished. I’m going to look like Arnold when this is over! I’m sore in every part of my body, I’ve smashed and mutilated my fingers more times then I can count and I am covered in bruises and bug bites, but I’m still going strong because there is no better motivation then seeing your dreams come to fruition. Yeah, that, and DEADLINES!!! I have to hurry the hell up because I have three summer exhibition deadlines coming right up and a solo show planned for October! I need new paintings! Speaking of Exhibitions, the NAWA show opened yesterday May 11th at The Salmagundi Art Club and the Montshire Museum of Science Benefit Auction is this Friday, May 15th! I hope you will get a chance to stop by. I promise to share photos of the landscape project as soon as it is completed, I do so hate to share work in progress so you’ll have to wait! :) In the meantime I’ll attempt to keep you amused with my next post about the Scout Party followed by some fabulous springtime botanical inspiration! Enjoy!

No comments: