Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sunflower Terrace

As many of you know, I’ve long been dreaming of having a giant plot of Sunflowers. The past few years I have attempted various Sunflower gardens, with only one, “The Sunflower Fence” having moderate success. One year the deer ate an entire 20’ x 20’ patch of very healthy two foot tall Sunflowers. Last year the slugs and too much rain demolished the majority of the crop, with the deer eating the few survivors and the turkeys taking dirt baths in the replanted beds. This year, more determined then ever, I re-constructed the Sunflower Terraces (six 50 foot rows dug out of a side hill) and begged the Mr. to put up a deer fence (thinking that I might be able to keep at least a few of the enemies out). But little did I know, the Squirrels and Chipmunks were watching me as I worked and later came back to steal most of my freshly planted seeds! And the few seeds that they left to sprout have once again suffered from slug attacks! But I haven’t completely given up, I do plan to reseed one more time, and hope for the best.

In the meantime I’ll share the *before* picture of the Sunflower Terraces:



I desperately hope to have a beautiful Sunflower filled *after* shot to share with you in August…

No comments: