Thursday, January 02, 2014

Melvin and Henry

Here is the much anticipated House Rabbit Review! Take a look at our adorable bunnies, Melvin and Henry, who are now 7 months old:














I have to admit that as sweet and innocent as these little bunnies appear, life with them was pretty difficult for a few months as they experienced their terrible teens. Although, as soon as Melvin and Henry were castrated, they suddenly became a lot less torturous. Meaning they stopped fighting, running up the walls and stomping at me. Best of all, they stopped spraying and decided they wanted to use the litter boxes again instead of leaving 1,000 poop pellets on the floor (and in my chair) every day! Keep in mind the rabbits are loose in my studio where I spend at least 8 hours a day (trying to work!). I was literally running the power out of two dust-busters daily! And, I’m a neat freak – so you can imagine my dismay. They were SO naughty! Some examples, they would sneak up behind me in my chair as I painted and chew off chunks of my hair, they would nip at me if I didn’t participate in the mating dance, stomp and charge at me like a bull if I wasn’t paying attention and there’s more – like scaring our poor cats and the boxing of various body parts... So, you’d think a 4 pound rabbit wouldn’t be intimidating – right? The House Rabbit books did NOT prepare me for that level of craziness. However, I did read AFTER the fact that I should not have adopted two unneutered males – they behaved exactly as nature intended. Now that they are fixed, I kind of miss the mating dance, and the hair thing, I ended up having a layered look that people have been raving about! J

Look below to see a very scared and jealous Tonka. He spends quite a bit of time crying outside the fence and trying to look cuter then baby bunnies. He won’t come into the studio on his own anymore because he is petrified of the rabbits! Poor cat – even if it is kind of funny…

Anyway, even with all the trouble, Melvin and Henry are incredibly charming, and impossible to stay mad at. In fact, I am pretty sure they are the most spoiled rabbits ever. They live the spa life, three gorgeous salads a day, three kinds of hay and high end healthy baby bunny pellets as well as Melvin’s insistence on frequent and lengthy massages (nips given if demands aren’t met!). They have every toy ever made for rabbits and as spa director, I do my best to provide stimulating activities like giant sheets of paper to rip, piles of old towels to dig in, and I’ve designed cardboard castles and mazes for them to renovate and explore in. The Mr. even cuts down his precious apple trees to give them special twig treats to chew on. Do they appreciate it? Probably not – but if the amount of Binky’s are any indication I know they are extremely happy.

As far as the House Rabbits providing inspiration for the Legend of Hare Terra project – I think they are more distraction then inspiration… but I am getting *some* work done – mostly when they nap. I’ll share more about Hare Terra soon.

No comments: